Mount Carmel High School, Gandhinagar is run by the Sisters of the Apostolic Carmel, a Congregation of Indian nuns founded in 1870, by Mother Veronica, a holy and dedicated woman, who was divinely inspired to reach out to girls specially through Education.
FOUNDRESS OF THE APOSTOLIC CARMEL (1823-1906)
Mother Mary Veronica of the Passion Called by God to serve India Through education and works of mercy.
Today, the Sisters cater to the needs of children in Primary and High Schools, Teachers’ Training Institutions, Degree Colleges and Technical Schools (which are conducted both in the regional Language and in English Medium), in Hospitals, Creches, Children’s Homes, Hostels and Boarding Houses in India, Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Pakistan and Africa.
The school in Sector 21, unlike other schools of ours has octagonal shaped class rooms, the brain child of the famous architect Hasmukh Patel. He planned small garden plots in the passages inside the school open to the sky spaces. But these plots had to be paved later and the spaces open to the sky had to be closed with glass.
Sr. Lira Morais A.C. was the last Co-Principal of the Xavier-Carmel High School. She had taken over from Sr. Maria Rosa who had succeeded Sr.Loyola. As students kept increasing – we already had four sections in the school, one in English and three in Gujarati medium. –the need was felt to separate the two schools; hence it was in June 1983 that Mount Carmel Primary School began as a separate school with one section in English and two sections in Gujarati medium. For extra class rooms became an urgent necessity so additional class rooms on the ground floor and the First Floor was built. It was only in 1986 when the students in Mt. Carmel reached Std VIII that the Co-Principal together with one Sister who was on the High School Staff in the joint Xavier-Carmel High School, officially shifted to the separated Mount Carmel High School. In 1989 the first batch of Std X students appeared for the board examination and the results were 100%.